Rodenticide-free strata, a three-step strategy
Municipalities in B.C. are taking action to ban the use of rodenticides in city-owned property, making it the perfect time for you to make the poison-free case to your strata council and help prevent animal suffering.
Step one: Get Informed
Learn about poison-free alternatives and assess your strata’s current situation.
- Are rodenticides used?
Look for black boxes around your building.
- What is in the strata’s pest control contract?
Service frequency, monthly cost, etc.
- Are there signs of rodent activity?
Droppings, gnawed wood, wire or insulation.
Step two: Make your case
Convince your strata poison-free is a win!
It’s better for animals:
- Prevents pets from accidentally eating poison
- Prevents secondary poisoning of local wildlife who may eat poisoned rodents
- Prevents unnecessary suffering as poisoned animals can take up to 72 hours to die
It’s better for the environment:
- Reduces risk of poison reaching streams and green spaces
- Encourages good management of garbage and recycling to reduce rodent attractants
It’s a long-term solution:
- Poison-free pest control companies are prevention experts and will solve root causes
- Prevention includes exclusion so building repairs ensure rodents can’t get inside
Step three: Money talk
Explain how your strata will get more value for money by going poison-free.
- Using poison costs more long-term: poison service guarantees recurring revenue because the root of the problem is never solved
- Poison-based rodent control is not a customized service, making it less effective
- Poison-free services conduct building inspections and identify where repairs are needed so money previously spent on poison goes into needed building maintenance instead
- Show your strata the costs difference between conventional and rodenticide-free pest control is minimal by comparing the monthly cost for each owner
Choosing a rodenticide-free alternative prevents animal suffering, is better for the environment, and successfully deals with rodent problems.
Be the champion that promotes your strata to go rodenticide-free!
Other available resources: