Are you committed to achieving high animal welfare and want more information for your business?
To support humane pet service operators, and to help the public choose a dog daycare, dog walking, pet boarding or grooming service, the BC SPCA created voluntary AnimalKind Companion Animal Services Standards (PDF).
If you operate a pet service business, this list of resources will help you and your staff incorporate humane handling practices and the AnimalKind standards into your business.
Find resources for:
Since 2019, the BC SPCA has been helping dog guardians find humane, reward-based trainers through AnimalKind.
The BC SPCA values the essential services that pet care businesses like yours provide for animals and their guardians.
Humane companion animal care & handling
- Fear Free Pet Professionals: fearfreepets.com
- The Pet Rescue Resource www.thepetrescueresource.com
- Pet Professional Guild www.petprofessionalguild.com
- International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants m.iaabc.org
- 2022 AAFP/ISFM Cat Friendly Veterinary Interaction Guidelines: Approach and Handling Techniques
- 2022 ISFM/AAFP Cat Friendly Veterinary Environment Guidelines
- Behaviour modification for fearful cats
- AnimalKind Humane Cat Handling (PDFs)
- Understanding cat body language
- Creating positive environments for cats
- Providing positive social interactions to cats in boarding
- Caregiver safety around cats
- Responding to fearful cats
- Responding to defensive aggression in cats
- Handling tips for grooming cats
- Humane restraint for cats
- Welfare harms of scruff clips for cats
- NIOSH app for iPhone
- Decibel X app for Android phones
To support humane pet service operators, and to help the public choose a dog daycare, dog walking, pet boarding or grooming service, AnimalKind created voluntary standards for these companion animal services.